Locations

Bottisham Airfield Museum

bottisham-mural

  Bottisham was opened in 1940 as a Royal Air Force station. There were a number of tenant units that flew from this station at various times between 1940 and 1943 with a large variety of aircraft types, from Tiger Moths to Spitfires, and the RAF Mustang I. With the entry of the United States into …

Read More →

Halesworth Airfield Memorial Museum

Halesworth 1

The airfield at Halesworth, known officially as AAF Station 365, was built between 1942 and 1943 to the standard Class A specification seen on many other airfields. Class A was the specification set for an airfield that was to be used as a heavy bomber station with three runways, 50 hard standings, two T-2 type …

Read More →

Cambridge American Cemetery and Memorial

American Cemetery Cambridge

Cambridge American Cemetery and Memorial was built on a sloping 30 acre site, framed by ancient woodland, on land donated by the University of Cambridge. The cemetery contains the remains of 3,812 Us personnel. A further 5,127 individuals are commemorated on the wall of the Missing where rosettes mark the names of those since recovered …

Read More →

306th Bomb Group Museum (Thurleigh)

Thurleigh5

Thurleigh started life in July 1940 when work began on the site to construct a Bomber Command station for the RAF. The RAF finally moved onto the base a year later though at this point the site was far from complete so flying would not begin until January 1942 when No.160 Squadron formed up equipped …

Read More →

100th Bomb Group Memorial Museum (Thorpe Abbotts)

Thorpe Abbotts

The airfield at Thorpe Abbotts was built between 1942 and 1943 as a satellite airfield for nearby Horham. Originally built for the Royal Air Force, it was handed over to the US Army Air Force and was known as AAF Station 139. The base was designed to the classic Class A design seen on many other airfields. Class …

Read More →

389th Bomb Group Memorial Exhibition (Hethel)

Hethel3

Hethel was built in 1942 for use by the USAAF as AAF Station 114 as was initially used as a staging airfield for units of the Twelfth Air Force deploying to North Africa. At this time, Hethel was also used as a training airfield for other B-24 Liberator groups in the Second Air Division of …

Read More →

453rd Bomb Group Museum (Old Buckenham)

Old Buckenham2

The airfield at Old Buckenham was built between 1942 and 1943 as a standard Class A airfield. Class A was the specification set for an airfield that was to be used as a heavy bomber station with three runways, 50 hard standings, two T-2 type hangars for aircraft maintenance, a bomb dump and enough accommodation …

Read More →

493rd Bomb Group Museum (Debach)

Debach tower

The airfield, known officially as AAF Station 152, was built by various US Army Engineer Battalion’s from September 1942 to the standard Class A specification seen on many other airfields. Class A was the specification set for an airfield that was to be used as a heavy bomber station with three runways, 50 hard standings, …

Read More →

95th Bomb Group Memorial Exhibition (Horham)

Horham5

The airfield, known officially as AAF Station 119, was built in 1942 to the standard Class A specification seen on many other airfields. Class A was the specification set for an airfield that was to be used as a heavy bomber station with three runways, 50 hard standings, two T-2 type hangars for aircraft maintenance, …

Read More →

Boxted Airfield Museum

Boxted

Construction of the airfield at Boxted began in 1941 and was eventually opened in 1943 as AAF Station 160. The base was assigned to the 9th Air Force USAAF and in May 1943 became home to the 386th Bombardment Group (Medium) equipped with the B-26 Marauder, however this unit only remained at Boxted for a …

Read More →

City of Norwich Aviation Museum

Norwich2

The airfield at RAF Horsham St Faith was developed in 1939 and opened in June 1940 as a base for Bomber Command. The base was developed with five C Type hangars, permanent brick and tiled buildings with central heating and accommodation buildings, all built to a high pre-war standard. Although initially used by Bristol Blenheims …

Read More →

Martlesham Heath Control Tower Museum

martlesham-heath-2

  The airfield at Martlesham Heath has a very long history starting in the First World War where the Royal Flying Corps  Aeroplane Experimental Unit took up residence in 1917. This unit was renamed in 1924 to become the  Aeroplane and Armament Experimental Establishment (A&AEE) and saw testing of the legendary Supermarine Spitfire. A&AEE remained at …

Read More →

Norfolk & Suffolk Aviation Museum (Flixton)

Flixton2

Bungay, known officially as AAF Station 125, was built by Kirk & Kirk Ltd in 1942 to the standard Class A specification seen on many other airfields. Class A was the specification set for an airfield that was to be used as a heavy bomber station with three runways, two T-2 type hangars for aircraft …

Read More →

Nuthampstead Airfield Museum

Nuthampstead2

Nuthampstead, known officially as AAF Station 131, was built by the 814th and 630th Engineer Battalions of the US Army in 1942 to the standard Class A specification seen on many other airfields. Class A was the specification set for an airfield that was to be used as a heavy bomber station with three runways, …

Read More →

Parham Airfield Museum (Framlingham)

Parham

Framlingham airfield was built in 1942 to the standard Class A specification seen on many other airfields. Class A was the specification set for an airfield that was to be used as a heavy bomber station with three runways, 50 hard standings, two T-2 type hangars for aircraft maintenance, a bomb dump and enough accommodation …

Read More →

Ridgewell Airfield Commemorative Association

Ridgewell

Completed in December 1942, Ridgewell was built to an earlier Class A airfield specification Class A was the specification set for an airfield that was to be used as a heavy bomber station with three runways, 36 hard standings, two T-2 type hangars for aircraft maintenance, a bomb dump and enough accommodation to house around …

Read More →

Rougham Control Tower Museum

rougham1

Today the airfield is known as Rougham; however during World War Two the site was known as Bury St Edmunds as this was the nearest town. This station was constructed for the USAAF between 1941 and 1942 to the standard Class A specification seen on many other airfields. Class A was the specification set for …

Read More →

Wattisham Station Heritage Museum

Wattisham

Wattisham was completed in 1939 for use by the Royal Air Force and became home to 107 Sqn and 110 Sqn equipped with the Bristol Blenheim light bombers. It was from Wattisham that on the 4th September 1939, just 29 hours after the outbreak of the Second World War, Blenheim’s flew the first offensive sorties against …

Read More →

2nd Air Division Memorial Library

2nd AD Memorial Library

The 2nd Air Division Memorial Library grew from funds raised in 1945 by 2nd Air Division personnel, which were placed under the care of the Memorial Trust of the 2nd Air Division USAAF. In 1963, eighteen years after those original funds were raised, the 2nd Air Division Memorial Room was opened to the public, in …

Read More →

American Air Museum (Duxford)

American Air Museum

The airfield at Duxford traces its history back to the Royal Flying Corps during the First World War and was built using German Prisoner of War labour. The Expansion era started in 1934 with more RAF stations being built, and existing stations upgraded to a set standard. Permanent brick buildings were built to set designs …

Read More →

The Swan at Lavenham

lavenham-swan

Lavenham airfield, known officially as AAF Station 137, was built in 1943 to the standard Class A specification seen on many other airfields. Class A was the specification set for an airfield that was to be used as a heavy bomber station with three runways, 50 hard standings, two T-2 type hangars for aircraft maintenance, …

Read More →

Seething Control Tower Museum

Seething1

Built by John Laing & Sons in 1942/43, it was known as AAF Station 258. In September 1943 the 58th Station Complement Sqaudron arrived from America and the 6 Officers and 150 Enlisted men joined the small complement of RAF servicemen on the airfield where they lived and they ate together until the supplies arrived from …

Read More →